Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What king of character do you like to see in a novel?

Can I make the protagonist of my book a serious character without making them boring? Do you know of any fictional books that have successful serious characters without making the book too dark for normal people? If Aragorn had been the character followed in lotr as opposed to Frodo, the series might have not as been as successful, then again, Tolkien was crafty with his characters. On the contrary, the hobbit was interesting just for being a hobbit. Then again Frodo was a little more serious than Bilbo especially as the story went on. My character is a bit on the Clint Eastwood (Good the Bad and The Ugly) or Toshirō Mifune (in Yojimbo) side and I like that. I have other characters that are funny and bring light to situations but I'm afraid that my story has a slow start due to the serious nature of the protagonist. Maybe I could use the seriousness to my advantage and even create somewhat comical interactions? I just don't know. I want to write something that others, aside from myself, can read and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment